Study Abroad Programs

Program Details

Study Abroad at UCLA

International students on campus

Study Abroad at UCLA is designed for students who want to spend a quarter or more studying at a top-ranked American university, earn credit that they can transfer to their home university, and experience the culture of Southern California. 

About the Program

Study Abroad at UCLA allows you to enroll in UCLA undergraduate daytime courses with American students and UCLA Extension evening courses with working professionals and international students. In order to meet international student visa requirements, you must enroll in a minimum of 12 units of UCLA and/or UCLA Extension credit per quarter.

UCLA Courses

UCLA courses are typical American university courses taught by UCLA professors. Study abroad students are eligible to enroll in undergraduate courses offered by the UCLA College of Letters and Sciences. The College offers a wide variety of courses in the Humanities, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences. 

If business courses are of primary interest to you, consider our Study Abroad at UCLA Business Tracks program. 

Restricted UCLA Programs and Courses

Enrollment for all UCLA courses is on a space-available basis. Study abroad students must also meet course prerequisites and have the instructor's consent to enroll. Please also note that restrictions apply to some courses and programs.

You will not be able to enroll in any graduate level courses or courses offered by UCLA professional schools: the Anderson School of Management, School of Law, School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Public Affairs, School of Public Health, Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, or Nursing, School of Theatre, Film & Television. 

Show More

UCLA Extension Courses

UCLA Extension offers a wide variety of undergraduate and post-baccalaureate courses, all of which are approved by UCLA academic departments.

UCLA Extension is noted for its certificate programs. A large number of Americans and international students take courses leading to certificates in specific fields such as accounting, marketing, real estate, systems analysis, interior design, cinematography, and more. 

The majority of UCLA Extension instructors are working professionals who are experts in their fields. Those who enroll in UCLA Extension courses are usually working professionals and international students who already have one or more university degrees. UCLA Extension courses focus on practical application and provide professionals and students with the knowledge and skills they need for their careers.

Since only your home university can make decisions regarding transfer credit, you will need permission from your university to enroll in some UCLA Extension courses. In many cases, you can enroll in and pay for UCLA Extension courses before you arrive in Los Angeles.

Show More

The UCLA courses I took were enriching and were taught by great professors. I’ve learned a lot during this quarter at UCLA, which will help me with my future studies.

Constanze Suesslin
Constanze Suesslin

UCLA Courses

  • Courses available: Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters
  • Enrollment is on a space-available basis, and UCLA matriculated students have priority
  • Permission to enroll requires consent of course instructor and/or department representative
  • Course length: 11 weeks per quarter
  • A full-time course load is considered three 4-unit courses for a total of 12 units
  • Hours of instruction are mainly daytime from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT.
  • Study abroad students are eligible to enroll in UCLA’s College of Letters and Sciences undergraduate classes from the departments of humanities, life sciences, physical science, and social sciences
  • During the summer quarter, in order to enroll in UCLA courses, you must apply for UCLA Summer Sessions. Students often stay for more than 1 quarter, and it is easy to transfer between Study Abroad at UCLA and UCLA Summer Sessions

View UCLA Courses


UCLA Extension Courses

  • Courses available: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer quarters
  • Enrollment is open to all until a course section is full
  • Course length varies from three weeks to 11 weeks per quarter, depending on the course
  • A full-time course load is considered to be at least three 4-unit courses for 12 units
  • Hours of instruction are mainly evenings from 6:30 to 10 p.m. PT. Some courses are offered on weekends and during the weekday.

View UCLA Extension Courses

Like many American universities, UCLA and UCLA Extension operate on the quarter system, with four 12-week sessions per year—Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer.

Study Abroad at UCLA offers UCLA Extension courses all 4 quarters and UCLA courses only in Fall, Winter, and Spring. If you want to enroll in UCLA courses for summer quarter, visit UCLA Summer Sessions.

Quarter Start End





Late September

Early January

Late March or early April

Late June






UCLA Courses

Study Abroad at UCLA advisors will guide you through the concurrent enrollment process, including course suggestions.

Course visits
During the first days of the quarter, you will visit courses that appear to meet your academic and personal objectives. Each visit will provide you with a general impression of the course, professor, and assignments. These visits will take place in-classroom for the on-campus program, and through remote (live online) access for the online program.

Course admission 
In order to enroll, you must first notify the professor during the first week of class that you are a UCLA Extension Study Abroad student who would like to concurrently enroll in their course. If you receive permission, complete the concurrent enrollment form request. Once approved, you will be prompted to submit payment in order to complete your enrollment. 

Concurrent Enrollment Application

UCLA Extension Courses 

If you decide to enroll in UCLA Extension courses, the enrollment process is much simpler.

After checking availability and prerequisites for your chosen UCLA Extension courses, contact a Study Abroad advisor to set up an appointment. 

Following international student (F-1) visa regulations, Study Abroad students must enroll in courses that will be accepted for degree credit by their home universities.

Proposed study plan

To ensure that students are in compliance with this regulation, you are required to submit a Proposed Study Plan with your application. These courses need to be approved for transfer credit by the academic advisor of your home university before you arrive for the Study Abroad at UCLA program.

The Proposed Study Plan will also allow our academic advisor to assist you with your educational objectives and course alternatives.

Eligible courses

Courses denoted X 400-499 are generally post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and lecture series in professional fields. They are designed in content, focus, and presentation style to standards of instruction used in professional-level degree programs. Credit earned in these courses may lead to the award of formal certificates by UCLA Extension, and may be transferrable for undergraduate or graduate degree credit, subject to the procedures of the receiving institution.

Transfer credit

The decision to accept transfer credit from UCLA, UCLA Extension, or any other university, rests with your home institution. We recommend that you consult with your home university advisor, or study abroad consultant, to determine whether or not credit for specific courses at UCLA will be transferable.

Measuring units of credit

Academic work at UCLA is measured in units of credit. These measure the amount of time that a student has devoted to a particular subject. One unit of credit represents three hours of work per week during the quarter, including both class attendance and preparation.

How to convert quarter units:

  • To convert quarter to semester units: divide quarter units by 1.5
  • To convert semester to quarter units: multiply semester units by 1.5
  • European units: 30 ECTS=22.5 quarter units


Official UCLA Extension transcripts are available at the end of each academic quarter. The transcript reports all UCLA and UCLA Extension courses, grades, and the academic credit earned for each course. UCLA Summer Session courses and grades are listed on a separate official UCLA transcript.

Full-time enrollment

  • In order to meet international student visa requirements, you must maintain full-time enrollment.
  • During fall, winter, and spring quarters, a full-time course of study is 12 units of UCLA and/or UCLA Extension courses.
  • Most UCLA and UCLA Extension courses carry four units of credit, so you will usually be able to enroll in three 4-unit courses. This is a normal course load for most students.
  • If you wish to enroll in more than 12 units of credit, you will need to obtain permission from your program advisor, and you may need to pay additional fees.

Minimum Grade Point Average

  • Students must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 (C average) for all coursework taken while enrolled in the program. 
  • Students whose grades fall below an average of 2.0 may not be eligible to enroll in a subsequent quarter of Study Abroad at UCLA.
Please Note

Student Status

Admission to Study Abroad does not constitute admission to UCLA or to any UCLA degree program.

However, degree credit earned through Study Abroad at UCLA may apply toward UCLA bachelors and/or masters degrees if you enter a degree program later.

Contact Study Abroad

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

Learn more about our international programs.


vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning