Study Abroad Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The below information is for the Study Abroad at UCLA program. 

No. You can enroll in courses only if there is space available and if you have permission to enroll; matriculated UCLA students have priority over Study Abroad students.

There is no advance enrollment in UCLA courses for Study Abroad students. Enrollments will not be finalized until the second or third week of the quarter. However, you may enroll in UCLA Extension courses in advance. We recommend that you visit classes in the first week to make sure that you like the course and the instructor.

Yes. UCLA Extension's credit-bearing courses are preceded by an “X” or “XL.” Courses preceded by XL are essentially copies of UCLA courses. Courses preceded by X are not offered at UCLA but have been reviewed and approved by the UCLA Academic Senate for credit.

Study Abroad students do not have access to UCLA graduate-level courses. You can select only undergraduate courses (1-199 level) in the College of Letters and Sciences. UCLA Extension offers several post-baccalaureate and professional credit-bearing courses. However, you will need to check with your home university to see if credits for those courses are transferable.

No, you will not be able to enroll in courses offered by UCLA professional schools, e.g., The Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, and other professional schools. In addition, you will not be able to enroll in any courses offered by the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

You need to show proof (transcripts and course descriptions in English) that you have met prerequisites for any course in which you want to enroll.

You have to get authorization from your home university indicating that credits for X 400-level courses will be accepted for transfer credit.

You are responsible for checking with your home university to be certain that courses you take at UCLA or UCLA Extension will be accepted for transfer credit.

One to three weeks is the average time to complete the enrollment process. During the course registration period, you will need to be patient, continue to attend the course regularly, and complete all course assignments.

You can enroll in up to one online course per quarter toward your full-time minimum of 12 units. You must be enrolled in at least two in-person courses in addition to the online course. 

Your status as a Study Abroad student allows you to use the UCLA Library during normal library hours and to borrow books. Students also have access to UCLA recreational facilities. Study Abroad students are not entitled to discounts for UCLA sporting events or for UCLA transportation passes.

Many students prefer to make housing arrangements before arriving in Los Angeles; others prefer to arrive a week or two early and find housing after they arrive. Although it is convenient to live near the UCLA campus, housing accommodations near UCLA are usually expensive. UCLA Extension cannot assume responsibility for housing arrangements or for housing contracts.

Learn more about housing.

International students on F-1 visas are permitted to work only on the UCLA campus, and student employment is limited to 20 hours per week. Employment opportunities on the UCLA campus are limited.


Contact Study Abroad

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

Learn more about our international programs.


vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning