Get the help you need to achieve your goals.

We offer access to several forms of financial aid, grants and financial assistance programs. See below for the different forms of aid available. 

The following UCLA Extension certificate programs qualify for federal student aid. To meet requirements, you must be enrolled in your eligible certificate program for the entire quarter in which you are receiving aid, and you must be enrolled in required courses for your program.  

Undergraduate Certificates (Direct Loan, both subsidized and unsubsidized)

Graduate Certificates (Direct Loan, unsubsidized only)

Other (Pell Grant only)

To ensure the availability of funds by the time your certificate program begins, we advise you initiate the application process four months prior to the start date of the quarter in which you plan to enroll.

Eligibility and FAQs 

Gainful Employment Disclosure 

The US Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, "prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation". This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program.

Gainful employment information for UCLA Extension aid-eligible certificate programs is below:

What if I Drop or Withdraw from My Course or Program?
If you were to completely withdraw and/or drop below half-time enrollment, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of federal aid that you were originally scheduled to receive. Our Financial Aid team will use the date of your withdrawal to calculate how much of your financial aid you “earned” from the beginning of the quarter until the date you dropped or were cancelled from your course(s). 

If you received more financial aid funds than you were entitled to, you will be required to repay to UCLA all federal financial aid funds received for the quarter in which you withdrew or from which your enrollment was cancelled. Please note that withdrawing may affect your eligibility to receive financial aid in subsequent quarters/terms.

A grant is a form of financial aid that does not need to be repaid. UCLA Extension offers grants to U.S. citizens and Green Card holders (see eligibility requirements below) who are not otherwise eligible for federal aid programs. Our grants are awarded based on your financial need (see below) and your ability to effectively convey your educational objective. 

  • Basis of Financial Need: Your gross income cannot exceed $1,800 per month for a household of one. This threshold increases 10 percent for each additional person in the household—for example, household size: 1 = $1,800 a month; 2 = $1,980 a month; 3 = $2,340 per month, etc. 

Grant Eligibility Requirements
Students applying for UCLA Extension Grants are required to hold U.S. citizenship or a Green Card; however, the following categories of students are not eligible for an Extension Grant despite holding citizenship or a Green Card:

  • High school students 
  • Candidates in certificate programs who qualify for federal, state, or private agency financial aid 
  • Students who are receiving partial and/or full tuition funding through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) or Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program 
  • Continuing students in degree programs at UCLA or other institutions of higher education 
  • Students who are in default or in pre-claims status on federal student loans 
  • Previously enrolled UCLA students who have academic and financial holds on their student account. Once holds have been cleared, students may reapply for an Extension Grant

Establishing Financial Need
As part of the Extension Grant application process, you will be required to submit:

  • A signed photocopy of your/your spouse's 2018 Federal Income Tax Return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, or 1040TEL) with all schedules and worksheets (or that of your parents if you were claimed as a dependent). Parental tax returns are required for applicants born after January 1, 1996. An IRS filing extension does not exempt an applicant from submitting the required financial documents.
  • A photocopy of your/your spouse's most current payroll check stubs dated within 30 days of the application deadline worksheets (or that of your parents if you were claimed as a dependent). 
  • If you are currently unemployed and/or receiving public assistance, current documentation dated within the past 30 days verifying source of income and monthly entitlement is required. 

All applicants are notified of approval or denial within three weeks after the deadline dates below. Extension Grants are awarded in the form of fee waivers of no more than $400. You will be responsible for paying the balance not covered by your fee waiver, as well as any tangible materials fees included in your tuition. Extension Grants are not guaranteed from one quarter to the next and may not be retroactively applied to courses taken in previous quarters of enrollment. If interested in receiving future Extension Grants, you must reapply every quarter (you may apply for grants to cover up to eight courses), and you must have earned a grade of “C” or better in each grant course taken.

Academic Requirements for Extension Grants
The following course categories are not eligible for an Extension Grant: 

  • Online courses 
  • UCLA regular session courses or concurrent enrollment 
  • Courses numbered 700–900–999.99
  • XL 10 Statistics course 
  • Courses in which a student is already enrolled 

In addition:

  • All courses are to be taken for credit and a letter grade. 
  • Even if you withdraw from a course, the course will count as one of the eight courses you are eligible to use toward an Extension Grant. 
  • You may only transfer to a course other than your Grant-funded course if the course you selected is canceled or closed prior to processing your Grant application. Contact the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office for approval of course substitutions. For other assistance, contact the specific program department for your course of interest.

How to Apply

Download the application form (pdf). Forms are also available for pickup at the UCLA Financial Aid Office. 

Please note: Applications are only accepted by mail or in-person drop off during the application filing period. Deadlines are firm and do not include postmark dates. Late applications will not be considered.

2019-2020 UCLA Extension Grant Application Deadlines
Summer 2019: April 29-May 14, 2019 (4:30 p.m.)
Fall 2019: July 29-August 13, 2019 (4:30 p.m.)
Winter 2020: November 4-19, 2019 (4:30 p.m.)
Spring 2020: February 3-18, 2020  (4:30 p.m.)

Planning for Your Grant Award
Once you are awarded an Extension Grant, you are eligible to apply the award toward any course that meets the eligibility criteria outlined in Academic Requirements for Extension Grants. Because your enrollment will not be finalized until your tuition has been paid in full, we recommend you plan carefully.

  • Select your courses as soon as they become available for enrollment in your desired quarter. Be sure to budget for any excess dollar amount you will need to cover out-of-pocket if you exceed your $400 grant maximum. 
  • Course availability is not guaranteed, so enroll as soon as you receive notice that your Extension Grant has been approved. 

Important: UCLA Extension does not reimburse enrollment fees if you receive an Extension Grant but have already paid for the class out-of-pocket. Applicants who have not received an Extension Grant in the previous two quarters will be given priority.

Private alternative education loans are continuing education loans made available by banks and private lending institutions, not by the federal government. The interest rates, fees, and repayment schedules vary from one lender to another, and eligibility is typically based on creditworthiness. Please contact lenders directly to compare loans, loan terms, and to apply for loans. Use UCLA School Code: 001315.

The University of California Code of Conduct in Regard to Preferred Lender Arrangements

Your maximum loan eligibility cannot exceed $6,350 per quarter and you must be enrolled in at least 6 units per quarter.

In deciding whether or not alternative loans meet your needs, consider all of the following factors:

Borrowing money is a serious decision. It is a financial option to consider only after you have determined that you cannot cover the cost of your education through any other means. If you do take out a loan, be sure to read and save copies of all loan correspondence, records, and payments.

Applicants applying for courses or certificate programs are certified at the undergraduate level except for those enrolled in the following complete certificate programs, which have graduate status: Paralegal (graduate track), Landscape Architecture, and Post-Baccalaureate Program in Classics. (Note: Status and level for purposes of certification is defined by the course or program, not by prior education.)

If enrolling in summer courses, a separate loan application is required.

Deadlines: Students are encouraged to submit loan request(s) prior to the start of the quarter. We will continue to accept loan request(s) into quarter, up until 30 days prior to the end of the respective academic year. Any loan request(s) submitted after, will not be processed.

School of Dentistry students enrolling through UCLA Extension applying for a private loan are not eligible to apply for Dental/Medical School loans such as the MedCAP loans through Wells Fargo or the Sallie Mae Dental and Medical School Loan. The School of Dentistry programs are graduate level certificate programs.

Displaced or disadvantaged workers may be eligible for financial assistance for UCLA Extension certificate programs through the U.S. Workforce Investment Act. Eligible certificate programs can be found by searching the Public Training Vendor Database under UCLA Extension. Please contact your local American Job Center to determine your eligibility and receive the required authorization.

WIOA Enrollment Instructions:

  1. Identify the certificate program that matches your interest and needs. Please note that some certificates are restricted and require an application for admission into the program. Consult with the program contact for requirements. 
  2. Print the program curriculum listing courses required to complete the certificate program. Submit the program curriculum to your LWIA counselor. 
  3. Once you have been approved for WIA funding, schedule an appointment with UCLA Extension’s Financial Aid Office (info at bottom of page) to complete your paperwork. 
  4. Schedule an appointment with the UCLA Extension certificate program advisor/representative who will help you to develop a WIOA Enrollment Plan.
  5. Once your certificate advisor and you have signed your Enrollment Plan, submit it to the Financial Aid office for final signature in order to enroll in the program.
  6. Once enrolled, take a copy of your enrollment verification to your certificate advisor so books and materials can be ordered for you. Books can be picked up at the program department. 
  7. Sign and submit a Certification of Attendance form to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office for each course in which you are enrolled.  This form must be submitted during the fifth week of the quarter for the first four weeks, and again at the end of the quarter for the final four weeks. 

WIOA Conditions:

  • Please note: UCLA Extension does not defer fees. Applicants who are not fully funded by their work source center will be required to pay the difference in full at the time of enrollment. For example, if a UCLA Extension certificate program fee is $5000 and the Work Source Center funding/approved amount is only $4000. Students will be required to pay the difference in fees. In addition, students enrolling under the WIOA program are not eligible for the early enrollment discount.
  • The UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office is not authorized to approve students for WIOA funding, nor may we counsel you on your eligibility or on available WIOA funding. Please contact an American Job Center counselor to secure funding. Be sure to tell them that UCLA Extension is on the Eligible Training Providers List (ETPL).We also encourage them to review Information for Referring Counselors to confirm referral eligibility.
  • WIOA funding requires all related enrollment and attendance forms (specified in the enrollment instructions) be signed and submitted or students risk being dropped from their UCLA Extension course/program. 
  • UCLA Extension requires that WIOA funding recipients maintain a minimum progress standard of a letter grade C in every course. Courses may not be repeated using WIOA funding, so you will be required to pay out-of-pocket if a required course must be repeated.
  • If you need to extend the date of your WIOA contract due to an emergency, approval from your American Job Center counselor must be sent in writing to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office.
  • You will be required to submit an Extension Self-Certification of Attendance form to the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office and provide a copy to your job center counselor.
  • Your job center counselor will require a report of your academic progress. A verification of enrollment report can be printed through our Student Portal.
  • Notify the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office (info at bottom of page) immediately if you make enrollment or program changes. All UCLA Extension drop and withdrawal policies will apply.
  • WIOA funds cannot be used toward parking permits.

Handshake Job Board
Upon completion of their UCLA Extension certificate program, WIOA students at UCLA Extension receive six months of free access to Handshake, the UCLA Career Center online job board. Click here to register.

AmeriCorps is a service-mission-based organization in which more than 80,000 Americans participate at more than 21,000 locations annually across the United States, including building affordable housing, tutoring/mentoring, teaching and after-school programs, bettering parks and communities, and responding to natural disasters. After completing their terms of service, participants may be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award


  • Award funds cannot be used to cover UCLA parking permits.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective Fall 2018 quarter, students will no longer be able to use the Americorps Segal Education Award as a form of initial payment for course fees to enroll in UCLA Extension courses and programs. The AmeriCorps Segal Education Award can only be used as a means of reimbursement for course fees, required books, materials and supplies applicable toward the current academic year. Students will need to pay in advance for their UCLA Extension courses. Students can use this as a form of reimbursement for course enrollment in the 2018-19 academic school year (i.e. fall through spring). Reimbursement occurs at the midpoint and at end of the enrolled quarter.

Getting Started:

Step 1: Log in to My AmeriCorps at MyAmeriCorps website

  • Create Education Award Payment Request
  • Select University of California, Los Angeles Extension” as school name
  • Enter the school term and your authorized amount

Step 2: Print and submit the Education Award Payment Request

Step 3: Download and complete the AmeriCorps Reimbursement form. When completing the form, check the box indicating you wish to use your AmeriCorps Award as reimbursement for courses you enrolled in.

Step 4: When both forms are complete, submit both forms to

For information on VA education benefits, the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA), please visit our Military and Veterans Benefits page.

Enrolling in Classes: Students must pay course fees at the time of registration. UCLA Extension does not defer fees. Students are also responsible for adhering to registration/enrollment, drop and refund policies as published by Student Services.

Contact Financial Aid

Our team members are here to help. Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning