Study Abroad Programs

How to Apply

Study Abroad at UCLA Extension Program


To participate in the Study Abroad at UCLA Program, each of the following steps must be completed in its entirety by the mandated deadlines. If you need assistance at any stage during the application process, please contact International Programs at

Study Abroad Program Application

If you have not already created a UCLA Extension student account, you will need to create one in order to begin the application process: Create a new student account here.

Next, complete the Study Abroad at UCLA Application.

You will be asked to share the following information:

  • Personal and emergency contact information
  • Start year and quarter
  • Representative Information  if you are working with a representative, agency, or a UCLA Extension university partner on your application 
  • Why UCLA Extension? We are excited to get to know you better! Answer a few brief questions about why you chose UCLA Extension and what you hope to accomplish with us.
  • Academic information and supporting documents
  • Acknowledgments of policy statements

After you submit your application, please allow 3-5 business days for the review of your application. You will receive an email with next steps.


Apply to the Study Abroad at UCLA Program as a new international student.

New Study Abroad at UCLA Application

Admission Requirements

Students applying to the Study Abroad at UCLA program primarily enroll in UCLA Extension classes and have the option to explore the possibility of taking UCLA undergraduate courses on our main campus through concurrent enrollment. It is important to note concurrent courses have higher English and GPA requirements, higher tuition rates, and placements can be competitive.

UCLA Extension Requirements

If you only intend on enrolling in UCLA Extension courses, your application will be evaluated based on the following requirements.

Scores that are equal to or higher than the listed minimum scores from the following tests, taken within the past two years, can satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

  • TOEFL: 80 (iBT or Home Edition)
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • iTEP: 4.5
  • Cambridge English Qualifications: C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency; score of 170 or above
  • CEFR: C1
  • CET-4 (China): 530, CET-6: 500
  • DAAD: 3 or above/B2
  • GEPT: High intermediate
  • GRE (verbal): 140
  • LanguageCert Academic: 70
  • TOEIC: 685 (Listening & Reading or Speaking & Writing)
  • Duolingo English Test (DET): 105

An unofficial academic transcript or verification of enrollment from an academic institution where the primary language of instruction is English may be submitted as proof of English proficiency. Students must currently be enrolled or have attended the institution within the past two years. International Baccalaureate (IB) students may also submit unofficial transcripts as proof of English proficiency.


Applicants who are citizens of the following countries and territories and identify with/use English as their first/primary language do not need to establish English language proficiency via examination.



Antigua and Barbuda












British Indian Ocean Territory

British Virgin Islands




Cayman Islands

Christmas Island

Cook Islands







Falkland Islands (Malvinas)

Faroe Islands



















Isle of Man


















Marshall Islands







New Caledonia

New Zealand


Norfolk Island

Northern Mariana Islands




Papua New Guinea


Pitcairn Islands

Puerto Rico



Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Martin

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines


Sierra Leone


Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Sudan


Swaziland (Eswatini)






Trinidad and Tobago

Turks and Caicos Islands





United Kingdom

United States

U.S. Virgin Islands








Students can request additional waivers to the English language proficiency requirements beyond the exceptions outlined above by emailing with details for our review.


Students must submit an English translation of their high school or university transcript. The minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement is as follows:

  • UCLA Extension only classes: 2.5 on a 4-point scale or the equivalent.

You will be required to upload a screenshot of your GPA verification in your application. Please use the GPA Calculator to convert your international GPA to a 4.0 scale.


UCLA Main Campus Requirements

Study Abroad at UCLA students are eligible to enroll in a limited selection of undergraduate courses offered on the UCLA main campus in the Humanities, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences.

Enrollment for all UCLA courses is on a space-available basis and is not guaranteed. Study Abroad at UCLA students must also meet English Language proficiency and GPA requirements outlined below, as well as demonstrate completion of course prerequisites, and have the instructor's consent to enroll. Please also note that restrictions apply to some courses and programs, and can change quarter-to-quarter.

English language proficiency is critical to your success at UCLA. If all of your high school/secondary school education was completed in English, you are considered proficient and do not need to satisfy this requirement. However, if you've completed all or some high school or secondary school in a country where English was not the language of instruction, you will be required to demonstrate English proficiency if you have had less than 3 years of instruction in English. To demonstrate English language proficiency, students are required to meet the following requirements:

  • TOEFL: 100
  • IELTS: 7
  • DUOLINGO (DET): 120


Students must submit an English translation of their high school or university transcript. The minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement is as follows:

  • UCLA Main Campus classes: 3.0 on a 4-point scale or the equivalent.

You will be required to upload a screenshot of your GPA verification in your application. Please use the GPA Calculator to convert your international GPA to a 4.0 scale.



International Program Fee Deposit

Once your application is reviewed and approved, you will be emailed a link to pay the $500 non-refundable program deposit to secure your place in the program. The $500 deposit is part of the total $3,850 International Program Fee*.  The deposit is due upon acceptance into the program and must be received within 2 weeks of your admission date.

*The International Program Fee is separate from and does not include program tuition.


I-20 Application

Once you have paid the $500 deposit, you will receive instructions to complete the I-20 Application. Complete this application to begin the process of obtaining an F-1 student visa. It is important to complete your I-20 application fully and as soon as possible so you have plenty of time to go through the visa process. If you have any questions about the I-20 Application or F-1 visas, please contact the International Student Services Office at

Prepare Supporting Documents

Before beginning your I-20 application, review the information below. 

Please note that all supporting documents uploaded with your application must be in either .pdf  .jpg format.

Make a clear, readable copy of your passport biographic page containing your name, birth date, expiration date, and the bottom two lines filled with letters and numbers.

If you are currently in the U.S. without an F-1 visa and want to change your current visa status to F-1, you will also be required to upload:

However, we strongly recommend that you return to your home country to obtain an F-1 student visa. 


You and/or your sponsor are financially responsible for your educational and living expenses for the duration of your program and must provide financial certification meeting the minimum funds for you and any dependents you may seek to bring with you. This financial statement is a federally required part of the visa-seeking process.

Statement of Financial Support Form

You will find a link to this form in the Form I-20 application. Please download this form and complete it. Once complete, upload this form with an accompanying bank document or letter outlining your ability to cover the costs for your chosen program.

We will accept bank documents and letters dated within 6 months of your submitted Form I-20 application. All supporting bank documents or letters must show available funds to meet or exceed the amount of your program as outlined on the form. Types of acceptable support documents are outlined on the form.

Statement of Financial Support Form

Calculation of Financial Support

Each applicant is required to show a minimum of funding for school tuition and living expenses while enrolled as an F-1 student enrolled at UCLA Extension. Proof of additional funds for a spouse and/or children is required for F-2 dependents.

The costs for each program are outlined on the Statement of Financial Support form, which is required as part of the application process.


You are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies and are required to provide proof of coverage during check-in once you arrive on campus.

If you plan to bring any dependents with you (spouse or children), the following must be provided for each family member:

  • Name (as it appears on passport)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of citizenship
  • Passport photo copy


If you are already in the United States on F-1 visa status and plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension, you will also be required to upload:

  • Copy of your most recent I-94
  • Copy of your F-1 Visa
  • Copy of your most recent I-20

We request that your current immigration advisor not release your SEVIS record to UCLA Extension until you are fully admitted and make your $500 depsoit. If your SEVIS record is in anything but "Active" status, please contact International Student Services at for more information.


You are a returning student if you have previously applied for an I-20 and paid the international program fee at UCLA Extension. If you are a current or former student but never applied for an I-20 at UCLA Extension, complete the new student application.

If you are an F-1 student transferring back to UCLA Extension, you must be admitted into the Study Abroad at UCLA Program. Instructions on transferring your SEVIS record to UCLA Extension will be on your program admission letter.

If your SEVIS record is in anything but "Active" status, please contact International Student Services at for more information before having your record transferred to UCLA Extension. 


Course Identification and Final Fee Payment

Once your I-20 application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a welcome letter from the International Student Services Office (ISS) with your digital Form I-20 attached. You will also be sent the Course Identification Form and instructions to make your final first-quarter International Program Fee of $3,350 ($3,850 - $500 deposit). The balance is due at least 30 days before the quarter start date. Failure to pay your fees before the stated deadline will result in the automatic cancellation of your I-20 and your admission to the program.

In the Course Identification Form, we will ask you to identify the courses you plan on taking for your first quarter at UCLA Extension. This application will help you plan and prepare for your time at UCLA Extension.


Class Registration

After you have submitted the final International Program Fee payment, you can register for UCLA Extension courses according to the “Enrollment Begins” date on the Academic Calendar.


Subsequent Quarters

Study Abroad at UCLA students who want to study at UCLA Extension for more than one quarter must complete a new and shortened program application with an International Program Fee of $2,850 for each quarter they attend UCLA Extension. The fee is due at least 30 days before each quarter start date. Failure to pay your fees before the stated deadline will result in the automatic cancellation of your admission into the program.

Study Abroad students should notify the ISS office as soon as they have made the decision to extend their program beyond one quarter, so they can update their I-20 and ensure that their student visa is extended for the additional quarter(s) of study. Please contact the International Student Services Office at

Immigration Implications for Non-payment of Tuition and/or Program Fees.  To be fully admitted into UCLA Extension on an F-1 visa, you must complete your Returning International Student Application each quarter you attend UCLA Extension.  This includes making payment in full each quarter.  If you do not complete the application process or make payment in full for each quarter of attendance, you will not be considered an admitted student.  
If you register into UCLA Extension courses without having completed a Returning International Student Application or without paying the fees associated with your admission to the program, you will not be recognized as an admitted student and any courses you have registered for outside of the admissions process will be dropped from your record and no refund for those course costs will be provided. 
Should you have your courses dropped from your schedule because you have not completed your quarterly International Student Application (new or returning) and/or made your quarterly payment in full, you will be out of status as it relates to the regulations governing the F-1 visa, which will ultimately result in the termination of your SEVIS record, requiring you to immediately depart from the United States, as you will no longer be a student eligible for F-1 status.


International Program Fees & Refund Information

Contact Study Abroad

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning