Private Alternative Education Loans

Explore funding possibilities for continuing education expenses.

loans education

Private alternative education loans are continuing education loans made available by banks and private lending institutions, not by the federal government. The interest rates, fees, and repayment schedules vary from one lender to another, and eligibility is typically based on creditworthiness. Please contact lenders directly to compare loans, loan terms, and to apply for loans. 

Use UCLA School Code: 001315

The University of California Code of Conduct in Regard to Preferred Lender Arrangements (pdf)

Your maximum loan eligibility cannot exceed COA (cost of attendance) per quarter. Please see the Private Alternative Loan Supplement Form for current standard costs. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units per quarter.

In deciding whether or not alternative loans meet your needs, consider all of the following factors:

  • The legitimate educational expenses for your educational program. Please see 'Cost of Attendance' in Private Alternative Loan Supplemental form linked below.
  • Your financial resources or options without taking out a loan
  • The comparative terms, conditions, fees, rates, and services of various lenders
  • A reasonable self-assessment of your ability to repay the loan
  • Steps to applying for a Private Alternative Education Loan
  • Private Alternative Loan Supplement Form (pdf)
  • Receiving your check
  • SB1289 Disclosure - Understand the difference between federal student loans and private student loans

Borrowing money is a serious decision. It is a financial option to consider only after you have determined that you cannot cover the cost of your education through any other means. If you do take out a loan, be sure to read and save copies of all loan correspondence, records, and payments.

Applicants applying for courses or certificate programs are certified at the undergraduate level except for those enrolled in the following complete certificate programs, which have graduate status: Paralegal (graduate track), Landscape Architecture, and Post-Baccalaureate Program in Classics. (Note: Status and level for purposes of certification is defined by the course or program, not by prior education.)

If enrolling in summer courses, a separate loan application is required.


Students are encouraged to submit loan request(s) prior to the start of the quarter. We will continue to accept loan request(s) into quarter, up until 30 days prior to the end of the respective academic year. Any loan request(s) submitted after, will not be processed.

School of Dentistry

Students enrolling through UCLA Extension applying for a private loan are not eligible to apply for Dental/Medical School loans such as the MedCAP loans through Wells Fargo or the Sallie Mae Dental and Medical School Loan. The School of Dentistry programs are graduate level certificate programs.

Contact Us

Our team members are here to help. Mon-Thur, 8am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning