Paralegal Training Program
This ABA-Approved program provides training in the substantive and procedural law, ethics and professional responsiblity, and practical skills to work as a paralegal in California.
What you can learn.
- Understand the core legal tenets, statutes, and cases of fundamental practice areas such as torts, contracts, criminal law, real property, and business organizations
- Learn rules of civil procedure governing the litigation of a matter from complaint through trial
- Acquire practical skills in legal research, analysis and writing to identify legal issues, analyze their relevance and draft and revise legal documents and forms
- Evaluate the ethical issues and rules of professional responsibilities affecting paralegals and the legal profession
- Learn how technology is affecting legal practice today
About this course:UCLA Extension's Paralegal Training Program (PTP) is approved by the American Bar Association and seeks to prepare students to function as ethical, effective, and efficient professional paralegals in law firms, businesses, government, and nonprofit organizations; to perform a wide variety of legal work under the supervision of attorneys; and to adapt easily to the changing role of the paralegal as well as the changing needs of the legal community. The PTP provides training in substantive and procedural law, legal analysis, professional responsibility, legal forms, legal technology, and practical skills needed to work in the public or private sector as a competent and professional paralegal. This program fulfills educational requirements to practice as a paralegal in California. Instructors for the program are approved by the UCLA School of Law and include judges, attorneys, paralegals, and other legal professionals. Assistance in career counseling and job search opportunities are available to current students and program graduates. Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law. Lifetime placement assistance is available to PTP graduates.
Winter 2021 Schedule
These courses have regular meeting times and are fully online, via remote instruction. Click “See Details” below for more information.