Biochemistry: Biosynthetic and Energy Metabolism and Its Regulation
This course is a continuation of the biochemistry series and is geared towards pre-medical and pre-health students. It covers metabolism at a cellular, organ, and organismal level.
What you can learn.
- Understand enzyme-catalyzed reactions in metabolic pathways
- Gain a broad understanding of carbohydrate, amino acids, and lipid metabolism
- Understand the regulation and integration of metabolic pathways
- Explore the resulting pathophysiological states from a mis- or dysregulation of metabolic pathways
- Read and comprehend primary literature articles related to metabolism
About this course:This course discusses the metabolism of carbohydrates, fatty acids, amino acids, and lipids. Additionally, the course covers photosynthetic metabolism and assimilation of inorganic nutrients. Finally, the course covers the regulation of these processes. Transferable for UC credit.
LIFESCI 2 and LIFESCI 3 (or LIFESCI 7A, 7B, and 7C), LIFESCI 23L, and CHEM 153A with a grade of C or better.