Financial Aid Eligibility and FAQs

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grants

Grants are need-based and do not have to be repaid. 

Eligibility for this need-based grant is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the U.S. Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. It is awarded to students who are enrolled in a qualified program and have not earned a bachelor’s degree. When you file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are automatically considered for a Pell Grant. Awards range from $400 to $6,195 per year. The Pell Grant award is adjusted according to your enrollment status.

The Pathway Learning and Life Skills program is the only UCLA Extension program that qualifies for a Pell Grant.

Federal Direct Loans 

Loans that must be repaid with interest. 

  • The Subsidized Federal Direct Loan is based on financial need determined by a federal formula. A loan is subsidized when the interest is paid by the government until six months after you leave school or drop below half-time status.
  • The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is not based on financial need and is available to you regardless of income. Interest accrues from the date of the loan disbursement. In order to be considered for the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, you must apply for the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan.


You may be eligible if you: 

  • Have earned a high school diploma or GED*
  • Are a U.S. or eligible non-citizen (must be documented)
  • Are enrolled in one of the approved UCLA Extension programs
  • Have not defaulted on any educational loan or do not owe a refund on any state or federal student aid grant
  • Have registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • Are enrolled in at least six units of an undergraduate or four units of a graduate program per quarter to maintain at least a half-time student status each quarter, as follows:
Enrollment Status Undergraduate Units Needed Graduate Units Needed
Full-Time Student 12 8
Half-Time Student 6-8 4-5
*If you have not completed this requirement, call your local high school for information regarding GED completion and testing schedule.

If enrolling in the Paralegal Training Program, learn more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Status is defined by the certificate. Students must meet certificate prerequisite(s). If you are applying for the Paralegal Training Program (graduate track), Landscape Architecture, or the Post-Baccalaureate Program in Classics, you apply as a graduate student. If you are applying for the Pre-Medical and General Science, or Paralegal Training (undergraduate track) Programs, apply as an undergraduate student even if you already have an undergraduate degree or a graduate degree.

A professional student is someone doing a post-graduate program. This category does not apply to UCLA Extension students or programs. Do not check this category on any of your forms.

Yes, you must list all schools at which you have registered, even if you never attended the classes or attended and did not complete classes or are currently attending.

No, you must reapply for Financial Aid every year. A year is July 1 through June 30. To meet the deadlines, you should reapply by early spring of each year.

You need to contact the Financial Aid Office to request the "Independent Appeal Form."

Yes, UCLA Extension does not defer fees. You must pay your Certificate Candidacy fee and Course fees at the time of registration.  Candidacy fees can be found at the top of your certificate’s webpage and paid by clicking Start Now.  

The amount is determined by a very complex formula set by the U.S. Department of Education.

Yes. We do not receive an electronic report of your SAR.

Yes. Since financial need is a criterion, you must complete a FAFSA. Pell Grants are only applicable to the Pathway Certificate program.

You need to call (800) 433-3243 and have the federal processor add UCLA’s name and school code 001315 to your SAR. Request that a new SAR be emailed to you.

No. UCLA Extension does not receive anything electronically. You must wait to receive a new SAR.

Yes. You must review the entire document. If there are any errors, follow the directions on the first page. If you are not sure what to do, call the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office at (800) 825-9711 or email

No. You may only receive federal aid from one institution at a time. However, private loans may be available to meet any gap in your educational financing needs.

You may enroll in classes six weeks prior to the beginning of the quarter. To enroll in classes via our website, a valid major credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, JCB, Visa, or debit card) is required. In order for your financial aid check to be released, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six units in an eligible undergraduate and/or four units in an eligible graduate certificate. Note: Only courses that are a part of your certificate curriculum are eligible for funding.

Special note to students enrolling in the Pre-Medical and General Science Certificate: Courses numbered in the 400, 700-900 series, as well XLC concurrent and online courses are not eligible for funding.

You can use the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to view information on any federal student aid you have received, including loan and/or grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan status, and disbursements. You can also look up your loan servicer using NSLDS. 

You can access NSLDS by visiting You will need to provide your Social Security number (SSN), the first two letters of your last name, your date of birth, and your FSA ID in order to use the site. 

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. It receives data from schools, agencies that guaranty loans, the Direct Loan program, and other U.S. Department of Education programs. NSLDS provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants that are tracked through their entire cycle; from aid approval through closure.

Contact Financial Aid

Our team members are here to help. Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning