- During the application window, click the yellow "Apply Now" button on this page. You will be prompted to create a Student Account and Profile in order to complete the application.
- Complete the application and pay the $20 application fee.
- Upon successful payment of the application fee, a program representative will email you within 1-2 business days with the information needed to complete the online language assessment exam.
- Upon completing the online assessment, you will receive an email from a program representative withing 3-4 business days regarding the status of your assessment and your next steps in pursuit of the certificate. Those who pass the assessment and are accepted into the program will be required to pay a nonrefundable $125 certificate candidacy fee.
This program is perfect for...
- Interpreters and translators wanting to enhance their skills
- Professional interpreters and translators preparing for court certification examinations
- Legal professionals looking to transition to interpretation and translation
- Bilingual individuals interested in interpretation and translation
What you can learn.
- Interpret consecutively and simultaneously
- Translate written material by sight
- Legal applications used in county, state, and federal court systems
- Skills needed to pass court certification examinations
- How to use techniques such as time delay, dual tasking, and terminology research to improve results
- Fine-tune skills using listening, shadowing, retention, and note-taking
About this program.
The demand for interpreters and translators continues to grow. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job market for these roles is projected to increase 19% between 2018 and 2028.
Position yourself for success in one of today’s fastest growing fields with a rewarding career interpreting in the criminal justice system, civil service, or in business. Our comprehensive, rigorous certificate program is an intensive year of study preparing you to pass the California Court Interpreter State Certification Exam. It will also enrich your understanding of an interpreter’s role and ethics, and deliver a broad background in the U.S. legal system. Courses provide a blend of theory, practical skills, and training in sight translation, vocabulary building, and simultaneous and consecutive interpretation.
This one-year program begins in summer quarter. Applications are accepted in the spring, and a language assessment exam is required in order to be accepted into the program.
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Program Dates and Deadlines
This next offering of this program will begin in Summer 2022.
Students must apply and be accepted into the program before enrolling in courses.
May 31, 2022: Applications deadline
June 3, 2022: Deadline to complete the language assessment exam
Week of June 20, 2022: Program begins*
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.