ART X 428
Learn hands-on strategies for creating memorable portraits though interaction with your subject, their environment, and meaningful objects within it.
What you can learn.
- Explore the various components that need to come together in an environment portrait
- Equip yourself with a good foundation of camera and lighing techniques for environmental portraiture
- Expand your conceptual approaches using metaphors and symbols, framing, composition techniques, editing and working in the series, and use of text
- Evaluate historical and contemporary environmental portrait photographers and iconic work done in different parts of the world
- Engage in reflection, analysis, and critique of image, both in individual portraits and in series
About this course:A subject's environment lets them speak from within a photograph. Learn hands-on strategies for creating memorable portraits though interaction with your subject, their environment, and meaningful objects within it. Experiment with available and artificial light and creative re-purposing of environmental factors. Assignments help students build their confidence and ability to create successful portraits in real-world locations. Examples of iconic environmental portraits are discussed to illustrate strategies used by master photographers.
X 438.9 Photography I or equivalent experience.