WRITING X 424.4E
Apply the techniques of evocative writing to place-based works while learning the skills of the professional travel writers
Starting at $695.00
As few as 10 weeks
What you can learn.
- Complete writing exercises that help you develop voice and focus
- Learn to conduct research and take field notes toward essays
- Explore the challenges and ethical concerns of travel writing as a genre
- Identify publishing outlets for your writing
- Develop one polished travel essay and ideas for future pieces
About this course:
Travel writing has been imaginatively transporting readers for centuries and remains one of the most robust areas of publishing. This course guides you to elevate the mere travelogue or guidebook entry into a thoughtful, well-crafted piece of literature as you study elements of theme, structure, dialogue, descriptive language, and tone in the works of some of the most lauded travel writers. You apply what you've learned in weekly writing exercises that are developed into at least one fully realized essay by course's end. You learn how to conduct research, take field notes, and tackle the unique challenges and ethical questions that face travel writers, as well as look at various publishing venues and career opportunities for new travel writers. The course goal is to fully develop one polished travel essay (600-3,000 words) and generate material for future essays.
Spring 2019 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.