An internship in sustainability can provide you with practical experience in a variety of job functions related to environmental sustainability. Certificate students must complete three of the five courses in the program before applying for the internship.
This program is perfect for...
- Individuals interested in exploring the dynamic field of sustainability
- Those who want knowledge and skills to be better global citizens
- Purpose-driven professionals seeking to stay up to date in their current position
- Professionals in a wide range of disciplines, such as Environmental Affairs Officers, Business Development Managers, City Planners, Waste and Facility Management Professionals, Political Strategists, Corporate and Product Sustainability Managers, Renewable Energy Sales Associates
What you can learn.
- Environmental systems and the interrelationship and effect of humans upon the environment
- Explore individual and group roles in sustainability, and the interconnectedness and necessity of collaboration between social, economic, and ecological responsibilities
- Learn business aspects of sustainability by identifying practical tools, measuring performance, and reviewing best practices
- Acquire skills in environmental and energy consulting, green investments and marketing, green building project design, renewable energy, climate change, public policy, and more
Invest your energy into a sustainable future.
The field of sustainability is complex, interdisciplinary, and full of promise for the future. As environmental considerations become top of mind for individuals and businesses, sustainability is a field that has important local and far-reaching significance.
UCLA Extension’s Sustainability Certificate prepares individuals to make a big impact in the world around them through a course of study that provides a practical, comprehensive, multidisciplinary foundation for new to mid-level career professionals.
What our certificates have done for our students.
feel a certificate helped them enhance their careers
1 in 4
received a salary increase after starting a certificate program
switched careers after completing a certificate program
recommend a certificate program to others
Expect more from your education.
Celebrate with us
Sustainability Certificate's 10-year Anniversary Celebration
Saturday, November 16, 6–9 p.m.
UCLA Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden
All are welcome! Join us for fun, food, networking & raffles.
Sustainability is all about connections – connecting systems, resources and people. UCLA Extension’s Sustainability Certificate opened my eyes to sustainability issues that I had never thought of, inspiring me to rethink current processes in my own community and work places. I found the classroom discussions were engaging and enlightening. If you are interested in learning about sustainability, look no further.
Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.
Estimated Cost Breakdown
All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.
Application & Candidacy Fee
Estimated Program Tuition
Estimated program textbook/materials
*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.
The Sustainability certificate is approved for international students (F-1 student visa).
International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting test scores from either TOEFL, IELTS or iTEP. Some applicants may be exempt from this requirement if certain criteria are met.
English language proficiency (minimum*):
- TOEFL iBT: 83
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall
- iTEP Academic-Plus: 4.5
James Bassett, Professor, Cal Poly Pomona
Nurit Katz, Chief Sustainability Officer UCLA, Facilities Management, Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor
Cully Nordby, Academic Director, UCLA Institute of the Environment
Leo Costantino, Continuing Educator, Business Management and Legal Programs, UCLA Extension
Scott Hutchinson, Continuing Educator, Arts, UCLA Extension
Varaz Shahmirian, Department Director, Engineering and Technology, UCLA Extension
Stephanie Landregan, Continuing Educator, Arts, UCLA Extension
Sarah Abramson Sikich, Coastal Resources Director, Heal the Bay
Sepand Samzadeh, BASC, MBA, CEO, Valley Recycling