Early Childhood Education Administration

This online certificate teaches the skills needed to take on an administrative or supervisory role in programs for children from birth to age five.

This program is perfect for...

  • Students preparing for an administrative or supervisory role in programs for children from birth to age 5
  • Individuals seeking to be highly respected, creative, and dynamic ECE leaders
  • Educators looking to meet the academic requirements for California Title 5 and Title 22 regulations and California Child Development Administrative Permits
  • Students who want to start a child care center or advance to a Director position.

What you can learn.

  • Discover ways to create an optimal learning environment where children, parents, and teachers function as a team in the educational process
  • Explore the logistical and philosophical details of planning, implementation, and appropriate care and education at childcare centers
  • Learn licensing, permits, and regulations for the state of California
  • Learn to organize staff for effective communication and interpersonal relationships
  • Discover criteria for selecting and evaluating personnel

What our students say.

Before starting the program, I was not very confident that I could take this leap in my career. However, after completing two of the four core classes, I know I made a great decision. I gained knowledge and more importantly, confidence. The instructors have been generous and available when I needed help or had questions.

Marissa Stone
Early Childhood Education Administration Certificate Student
Marissa Stone

What this certificate has done for our students.


feel the certificate helped them enhance their careers

1 in 4

received a salary increase after starting the certificate


feel the certificate helped them switch careers


recommend the certificate program to others

Source: UCLA Extension Certificate Graduates Survey


Click below to view the required and elective courses, if applicable, for this program.

Required Courses

Students must complete 4 required courses and 6 units (2 courses) of elective credit. 

Please note: UCLA Extension is on the quarter system. If you are seeking a Child Development Permit, you may need additional units based on the type of permit you are seeking. Please be aware the permit unit requirements are based on semester units. 

EDUC X 321.2
Typically Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
EDUC X 321.21
Typically Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
EDUC X 321.23
Typically Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
Students must complete 4 required courses and 6 units (2 courses) of elective credit. 
EDUC X 312.11
Typically Offered: Winter, Summer
EDUC X 312.42
Typically Offered: Fall, Spring
EDUC X 321.26
Typically Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
EDUC X 321.31
Typically Offered: Winter, Summer
EDUC X 321.44
Typically Offered: Fall, Spring
EDUC X 321.59
Typically Offered: Fall, Spring
EDUC X 321.6
Typically Offered: Winter, Summer
EDUC X 321.71
Typically Offered: Winter, Summer
see all courses

What is the Early Childhood Education Administration Certificate? 

The Early Childhood Education (ECE) Administration Certificate is designed for the individual seeking employment as a master teacher, administrator, supervisor or director of a preschool or childcare center.

The ECE Administration Certificate meets the master teacher/administrator preparation course work requirements for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) Master Teacher, Site Supervisor and Program Director Child Development Permits (includes both Title 22 private facility and Title 5 public facility requirements). 

What are the requirements to apply?

Professional-level English language proficiency is required in the following areas: listening and note-taking; reading comprehension and vocabulary; written expression and oral presentation. To review UCLA Extension's English Language Requirements, please check the English Language Proficiency information on the Academic Requirements webpage.

What requirements do I need to fulfill the ECE Administration Certificate?

The ECE Administration Certificate program consists of four mandatory core courses and two electives of your choice (total of 18 quarter units, or 12 semester units). The electives for the ECE Administration program should be different from the ones completed for the Lead Teacher Advanced Courses Certificate. A grade of C or better must be earned in all courses for a candidate to receive the certificate. 

Once I receive my Early Childhood Education Certificate, am I qualified to be a master teacher, administrator, site supervisor or director of any Early Childhood School in California?

Upon completion of the total 27 quarter units from both the ECE Associate Teacher Certificate and the Lead Teacher Advanced Courses Certificate, or equivalent units, you may be qualified to become a master teacher, administrator, site supervisor or director at a private facility provided that you also complete additional requirements outlined by the California Commission on Teaching Credentials (CCTC) for Title 22 (private facility) and Title 5 Child Development Permits (public facility). Please visit the CCTC web site for information regarding permit requirements www.ctc.ca.gov

What are the requirements to teach in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

Early Childhood Education (ECE) teachers with a teacher-level permit and a baccalaureate are allowed to teach in TK under an emergency waiver for one year. They can continue teaching in TK after that if they are enrolled in a credential program, either Pk-3rd or Multiple Subjects. If they enroll in a Multiple Subjects' credential, they also need to get 24 semester units of ECE. Both our ECE Associate Teacher Certificate and our Lead Teacher Advance Courses Certificate combined offer the required 24 semester units (36 quarter units).

An ECE Director permit does not qualify for the waiver to teach in TK.

Can I transfer units from another institution to UCLA Extension's Certificate Program?

You can transfer up to 6 quarter units or 4 semester units from another institution only if the academic units were completed from an accredited school with a grade of B or better. In addition, courses must be completed within the past seven years, and comparable to courses offered by UCLA Extension. 

If you have taken courses which you think might be applicable to our program at other institutions please contact us for more information. 

Can I transfer UCLA Extension's units to other institutions? 

It is up to the institution where you are planning to transfer your completed courses to determine acceptability of these units. Education courses classified under course numbers X 300 to X 399 are post-graduate, professional credit-bearing courses in the field of education. Major emphasis is on teaching methods and materials, curriculum, philosophical and sociological foundations of education and educational problems and laws.

How do I obtain a CCTC Child Development permit?

You must apply directly to the CCTC for a Child Development Permit. For further information on the application process and requirements for the various Child Development Permits, contact the CCTC toll-free at (888) 921-2682 or visit the CCTC website at www.ctc.ca.gov

Does UCLA Education Extension provide a job placement or career counseling service for its Certificate holders?

UCLA Extension does not currently provide a job placement or career counseling service. Students are encouraged to seek out organizations that provide job listings, such as Southern California Association for the Education of Young Children (SCAEYC).

Estimated Cost Breakdown

All courses in this program are paid for individually, unless otherwise noted. An application form is required to establish candidacy in this program. From the 'Apply Now' button, complete the online application and pay the application fee if applicable.

Application & Candidacy Fee


Estimated Program Tuition


Estimated program textbook/materials


*The Application & Candidacy Fee establishes your candidacy in the program for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion and may allow you to access a variety of program benefits.

**Federal Financial Aid Gainful Employment Disclosures

The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges and universities to disclose certain information for any financial aid eligible program that, “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. This information includes program costs; occupations that the program prepares students to enter; occupational profiles; on time completion rate; and for the most recent award year: the number of students who have completed the program, the number of students who complete the program within the estimated duration, the job placement rate, and the median Title IV and private loan debt incurred by those who complete the program. For gainful employment information for this program, visit our Financial Aid page.

Contact Us

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.
Ready to start
your future?
By signing up, you agree to UCLA Extension’s Privacy Policy.

vector icon of building

Corporate Education

Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.

Innovation Programs

Student Scholarships

Coding Boot Camp

Lifelong Learning