Hip and Cool: A Study of Distinction & Exclusion
SOCIOL XL 191V
This course explores the past, present, and future of hip and cool. Examine the social psychology of the hipster; the roles of race, class, gender, and location; and see how hipness is marketed, purchased, and performed.
What you can learn.
- Develop definitions of hip, cool, and the modern hipster
- Learn to clearly identify distinguishing characteristics of hipsters from different eras
- Learn the connection between mindset and subculture
- Learn about how cultures influence and create personality types
- Understand the relationship between marketing, trends, taste, and behavior
- Learn ethnographic skills, culminating in an ethnographic field research project