Legal Secretary Training Program
Acquire the legal substantive knowledge and procedural skills to support a law office as an administrative assistant or legal secretary.
Starting at $995.00
As few as 12 weeks
What you can learn.
- Understand the framework of the U.S. legal system and court structure
- Learn the stages of the litigation process
- Conduct researching using statutes, directories, and publications
- Complete court filings and understand issues of jurisdiction, venue, and statutes of limitations
- Identify the format and requirements for case pleadings, motions, and discovery documents
- Evaluate calendaring, billing, and organizational systems used to manage matters in a law office
About this course:
Behind every good attorney is a great legal secretary. Professionalism, competence, efficiency: these are the qualities law firms seek in a legal secretary. In today's business world, the legal secretary who has the legal, technical, and people skills to work effectively with lawyers, judges, staff, industry experts, clients, and the general public, is in high demand. That's why the UCLA Extension Legal Secretary Training Program (LSTP) has spent more than a decade preparing students with practical and substantive legal knowledge to work in this fast-paced and challenging career. Our program can benefit not only those seeking to become legal secretaries, but anyone interested in learning about the law office structure, the litigation process, and general legal principles. With specialized and focused instruction, our program can prepare you to become a vital part of a legal team, broaden your opportunities for job advancement, and enhance your goal of professional and personal growth. Our course consists of a combination of practical exercises, written assignments, case studies, and a final exam.
Fall 2018 Schedule
These courses are fully online, and there are no in-person classroom meetings.