Each year, in perpetuity, UCLA Extension will award a minimum of one scholarship up to $5,000 toward course fees within a certificate program. This year, we are pleased to announce that two applicants will be awarded the scholarship.
Supporting Women Enrolling in Certificate Programs
The Ingrid Skulstad Williams Scholarship was established to support women returning to postsecondary education to become more self-sufficient.
Ms. Skulstad Williams was born and grew up in Nazi-occupied Europe and immigrated to the United States as a young adult. Her husband passed away unexpectedly at a young age, and she faced the challenge of becoming self-supporting. She returned to the classrooms of UCLA Extension in the late 1970s to pursue business courses and went on to a successful career in the travel industry. Through her estate, Ms. Skulstad Williams established this scholarship endowment to help women who would otherwise not have the financial means or opportunity to attend postsecondary education. Ms. Skulstad Williams believed strongly that lifelong learning can change lives.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Applicant must be a woman
- Minimum attainment of an associate degree (AA) or equivalent
- Applicant must meet all prerequisites of the individual certificate program she has chosen
- Gross income cannot exceed $2,500 a month for a household of one. This threshold increases 10% for each additional person in the household: household size: 1 = $2,500 a month; 2 = $2,750, etc.
- UCLA and UCLA Extension employees and their family members or dependents are not eligible to apply
- Must be U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a green card
The following documents must be completed and uploaded by the deadline of May 31, 2023 at 11:59pm PT. Once you begin your application you will be able to stop and start the process should you need to gather additional documents. All formats are accepted, such as MS Word and PDF.
To apply, candidates must:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a 450-500 word, typed Personal Statement
- Submit one letter of recommendation; recommender may be current or former employer, college teacher, or leader of a volunteer or civic organization with whom you have worked
- Submit at least one of the following: wage or income statement, a screenshot of your most recent bank statement, or any supporting documentation that shows you meet the financial threshold. If you are currently unemployed and/or receiving public assistance, current documentation dated within the past 30 days verifying source of income and monthly entitlement is required. Submission/screenshot of a bank statement for the past 30 days is acceptable as financial documentation. Please upload the information.
Submission of applications that are incomplete, late, or from students who are not eligible will not be considered. Applications will not be returned. UCLA Extension reserves the right to request additional financial documentation.
2023-2024 Scholarship Timeline
- Application Acceptance Period: May 1, 2023 - May 31, 2023 at 11:59pm PT
- Application review period: June 1, 2023 – July 10, 2023
- Final decision made for scholarship recipients: The week of July 10, 2023
- Notification of scholarship winners: The week of July 17, 2023
Scholarship recipients can utilize their awards to offset course fees beginning in Fall Quarter 2023 and have two years from the date of their award to utilize the full scholarship amount.
If you have any questions regarding the Ingrid Skulstad Williams Scholarship for Women, please contact Corinna Soriano at email@example.com.