Simultaneous Interpretation: Legal Proceedings
This course part of the Interpretation and Translation certificate trains students in simultaneous interpretation through strategies, techniques, exercises, accuracy and well-paced, natural interpretation.
What you can learn.
- Acquire the skills to lag behind the speaker while analyzing the meaning of the source-language version
- Produce the target-language version without losing the train of thought
- Learn specialized vocabulary
- Interpret at different speeds to a maximum of 140 words per minute
- Become familiar with different court proceedings such as jury instructions, opening and closing statements, and expert witness testimony, among others
About this course:This course covers simultaneous modes of interpretation with some consecutive interpretation as related to court and adjudicatory hearings in chuchotage. Instruction includes practice in the Rozan method of note taking; materials include court proceedings and selected articles. Extensive use of tapes for practice in decalage and simultaneous translation of legal and political speeches and lectures.
Spring 2020 Schedule
These courses meet in person and make use of an online presence to varying degrees.