Simultaneous Interpretation: Legal Proceedings
SPAN X 462A
This course part of the Interpretation and Translation certificate trains students in simultaneous interpretation through strategies, techniques, exercises, accuracy and well-paced, natural interpretation.
What you can learn.
- Acquire the skills to lag behind the speaker while analyzing the meaning of the source-language version
- Produce the target-language version without losing the train of thought
- Learn specialized vocabulary
- Interpret at different speeds to a maximum of 140 words per minute
- Become familiar with different court proceedings such as jury instructions, opening and closing statements, and expert witness testimony, among others
About this course:
This course covers simultaneous modes of interpretation with some consecutive interpretation as related to court and adjudicatory hearings in chuchotage. Instruction includes practice in the Rozan method of note taking; materials include court proceedings and selected articles. Extensive use of tapes for practice in decalage and simultaneous translation of legal and political speeches and lectures.