These continuing education loans are made available by banks and private lending institutions, not the federal government. The interest rates,fees, and repayment schedules vary from one lender to another, and eligibility is typically based on the creditworthiness of the borrower and/or the co-signer. You will need to contact lenders directly to compare their service packages and program features. For a list of some lenders, see lender list.

In deciding whether or not alternative loans meet your needs, consider all of the following factors:

Borrowing money is a serious decision. It is a financial option to consider only after you have determined that you cannot cover the cost of your education through any other means. If you do take out a loan, be sure to read and save copies of all loan correspondence, records, and payments. Applicants applying for courses or certificate programs are certified at the undergraduate level except for those enrolled in the following complete certificate programs, which have graduate status: Paralegal (graduate track), Landscape Architecture, and Post-Baccalaureate Program in Classics. (Note: Status and level for purposes of certification is defined by the course or program, not by prior education.) If enrolling in summer courses, a separate loan application is required.

Please Note: Students are encouraged to submit loan request(s) prior to the start of the quarter. We will continue to accept loan request(s) into quarter, up until 30 days prior to the end of the respective academic year. Any loan request(s) submitted after, will not be processed.

School of Dentistry students enrolling through UCLA Extension applying for a private loan are not eligible to apply for Dental/Medical School loans such as the MedCAP loans through Wells Fargo or the Sallie Mae Dental and Medical School Loan. The School of Dentistry programs are graduate level certificate programs.